Monday 11 April 2011

Day Two - The hills are alive! With the sound of screaming

We had around an hours drive left until we reached the start point at Lands End, along with it's famous, yet ludicrously expensive photo opportunity by the sign. This meant that we didn't get started until nearly 12 o' clock, we did procrastinate as much as was humanly possible though.

There was a museum on site dedicated to the feat we're about to attempt. Aside from the traditional bike ride, intrepid thrill seekers have embarked on the journey using unicycles, space hoppers, rollar skates and even a motorised toilet!

The sign telling you how many miles to JOG (John O' Groats) also has space for a 'personal message'. After my attempts to have 'Forest 5 Derby 2 failed, we decided a traditional approach, agreeing putting our names up would do. Upon deciding whose name should appear first, we decided to settle it in the most manly way possible. A hearty game of rock, paper, scissors. I was feeling particularly confident about my chances I must say. At the pub yesterday I annihilated both Brooksy and Ricky Ponting at every game they had. I won at darts, pool, guess who AND pop up pirate. I was certainly feeling confident in our best of three decision maker. But I lost! Jonny luck deserted me, and I lost!
Tail between my legs I approached the man at the kiosk and asked for the message to read, 'Brooksy and Jonny'. The man due-fully collected the letters, 11 consonants and 4 vowels literacy fans, and approached the sign. He then bizarrely asked my name, the tall one, and my name was placed first due to the fact I'm a good 3 feet taller than Brooksy! Jonny luck is restored by default. :-D

So there it was, 4 nervous wees later and we set off on our 1000 mile journey to JOG.

The first 20 miles or so were done through pure enthusiasm. We seemed to breeze our way through to (Dirty)Leedstown for our first pitstop.
On the very first hill following our stop Brooksy stacked it, falling of his bike in an epic fail grazing himself all down one side in the process. Now I'd have put my life fortunes on that accolade going to me. Early odds showed Brooksy at 20/1 to go first, with me at as short a odds of 11/10 if betting rumours amongst our mutual friends are to be believed. I guess that's a win for the bookies!

We made it through to the van, parked for our lunch break around 40 miles in. I was broken! My body seemed to have failed me. Muscles weren't moving in ways I would like, bones seemed to be moving independently to any normal way of functioning and my knees seem to have developed HUGE bruises. Is this what doing the challenge is all about? I seriously don't know if my body can handle this for 12 days. I'm never one to give up on something though, I just pray it eases up. That, or I become immune to pain!

The final 25 miles were excruciating. I've never felt pain like it. Relentless hills came consecutively, one after another, like dragons teeth forcing there way out of huge gums. My thighs seized up. Cramping with every turn of a pedal.

But somehow, we survived day one. Biking forums would have you believe that the first 3 days are the worst. Let's hope getting the 'worst' of the journey out of the way with will pay dividends.

We had enough time to park our van up and head for a WELL earned pint and something to eat before bed. The camp was a Butlins alternative, opting instead for a vomit yellow jacket, but I truly wasn't feeling myself. I sat silently through dinner whilst watching a fully grown man earn a living through wearing a dolphin costume and calling out bingo numbers. I climbed into bed hoping, begging, pleading for a better day tomorrow.


Miles today: 63.5
Miles total: 63.5
Local beers consumed: Tribute
Flies swallowed to date: 3

Location:Lands End - Lostwithiel

No comments:

Post a Comment