Tuesday 12 April 2011

Day Three - Learning to cycle

Now, in all honesty yesterday was the first time I've actually ridden a road bike. In fact, yesterday was the first time I've ridden ANY bike since I was 12, poorly conducting my paper round through the mean streets of Horninglow.
Actually, I have ridden twice in those 13 years. Once over the Golden Gate Bridge in San Fransico and once on the 'Worlds most dangerous road' in La Paz, Bolivia. That road was featured on an episode of Top Gear, dozens of cyclists run out of riding talent and plunge to their untimely deaths every year on that road. Hasten to say, I had to apply the old foot break on a few occasions....

So, today was all about learning to ride. Back to basics stuff. Firstly, I learnt how to tackle hills. This is an important skill I tell you! But I sussed it! Day three and I've worked it out. It's Tiny Wings, the iPhone app! It's all about timing, hitting the hills at the exact right point to carry you over to the other side. See Sarah, I told you that was time invested, not time wasted!
Next was gear changes. I was first to say my Raleigh Activator 2 had 21 gears, but I only ever used 2 of them, and one of those was by accident. Selecting the right gear is crucial. I've certainly improved, but not in getting the gears right for getting up the other side - yet!

Part of our journey today involved riding on the a38, a road that passes right by my Mom and Dad's house (Hi Mom!). This is where we hit our top speed of the trip so far, a dizzying 41mph. It may not sound groundbreaking, but it felt like my face was being torn from my skull. Plus, at those speeds on a bike with 3cm wide tyres you'd certainly know about it if you came off.

After lunch, a 2000 calorie bowl of pasta, we headed on our way for the final surge of the day. The next 7 or 8 miles were great, all downhill. It certainly was payback for those gruelling up hill battles we'd had in the morning. But on the decent into Oakhampton I noticed a stone flick up into the spokes of my back wheel. The next mile through the town was back breaking. It was flat, surely it was something wrong with my bike rather than my lack of skill riding it?!
On inspection it turned out the stone had destroyed one of my spokes, buckling the wheel in the process. The wheel was still turning, but was rubbing against the breaks with every rotation. It was literally like trying the ride with the breaks fully on. A quick iPhone map search later led us to discover that I'd broken down 100m away from a cycle shop. Jonny luck at it's finest! Once found Brooksy continued towards Crediton, whilst I waited to get my wheel fixed. The shop was ran by BMX hippy-style kids. I tried to add a colloquialism or two to fit in like I would've 'back in the day', but seeing through my half baked attempts to seem cool they simply fixed my wheel and I was off to catch Brooksy up to finish the final 12 miles of the day.

The last few miles were really pleasant, running adjacent to the river.

We have now, of course, reached our 2nd county of the trip too, Devon. I certainly wont be rushing back to Cornwall in a hurry. Beautiful though it may be, it's shear mountains vrs bike battle will have me wincing for years.

We finally rocked on up in Tiverton and had a well earned rest.

Miles today: 76.6
Miles total: 140.1
Drink of choice: Mountain Dew
Roadkill: I accidentally rode over a badgers face.

Location:Lostwithiel - Tiverton

No comments:

Post a Comment