Monday 18 April 2011

Day Nine - We are Kil- WINNING

I awoke to, what I think was, the sound of a frog and a crow having a fight. I presume the frog won, as it hiccuped a victory song long after the crow had finished squawking. Come to think of it, that might have been some 'trailer trash' stumbling back to to his 'luxury' motorhome after an after hours Kareoke session last night...

After getting changed into our cycling gear I couldn't help but notice Brooksy was now sporting long red football socks too. I'm fairly sure he mocked me the first day, but look at who is setting trends now! It looks like 'Team Red Socks' are here to stay.

You know you're tired when you bike past a town called Kil- WINNING, and don't take a photo while pretending to be Charlie Sheen. But that's how tired we must've been after our epic 110 mile ride yesterday.
We decided that we'd have a 'rest day' today, aiming to bike around 70 miles. I don't think in my life, ever again, I'll ever refer to a 7 hour bike ride as a rest. But that's what our plan is today, to try and rest enough for our final push.

We passed the wives of Team Bodger and Badger again today. Yesterday the wife of Bodger claimed that she'd done the LEJOG challenge a few years ago. She also came out with the ludicrous statement that all of Scotland's roads are nice, and we're to enjoy our cycling from here on in. What a load of tosh! Yesterday was a nightmare, and when we rode past their car it took every ounce of me not to call her a lying turd face.

Even though our journey was short, we were treated to some awesome views. The Lochs here are stunning. Offering high, green, luscious hills that plunge into mirrored waters. Loch Eck was my personal favourite. We took time out to sit by the side of it, simply staring at it's beauty. There was a lone man on the other side of the Loch, casting his fishing rod from the comfort of his chair outside of his hut. Bliss.
En-route to the camp site I heard the subtle playing of bag pipes muscling their way through the forests surrounding the Loch Fyne. We seem to have been treated to a real taste of Scotland today. All I'm missing now is a man wearing a kilt to emerge from behind a castle with a big bowl of porridge to complete my idilic stereotype.

An unfortunate part about todays journey is that we had to head south for about 10 miles. The most frustrating part was that with about 25 miles to go we could see our finishing town! I tried to convince Brooksy that building a raft out of our knee bandages and twigs was the way forward. But he didn't really entertain my creative thought processes. Epic error.

We made it to yet another stunning Loch, and at a respectable time too. Plenty of time for pub grub and a pint while watching the moon cascade over the Loch's clear waters. Let's hope our rest day works.

Miles today: 69.1
Miles total: 675.0
Local beers consumed: Tennants
Number of times we overtook 'Team Bodger and Badger': 4

Location:Irving - Inverary

No comments:

Post a Comment