Thursday 14 April 2011

Day Six - Would you like your receipt with that?

Usually our mornings start with a drive to the place where we'd finished the night before. However, this morning we didn't have to as the camp site is where we'd rode into the evening before.

Upon leaving the campsite I noticed we were in a village called Astley, and one of the village notice boards had a crudely written Rick in front of it. Some people really are getting creative with their Rick Rolling these days!

One thing I have noticed is that traffic can get frighteningly close to you. Some times it's good though! If the right sized lorry gets close enough, you end up getting a power boost, similar to a mushroom on Mario Kart. I did try to go one step further with my power boost today though. Inspired by McFly and his hover-board on Back to the future part II I managed to grab hold of the back end of the lorry at a junction. The boost was quickly terminated when I realised my hand was on something icky.
Most days I've been wearing my sunglasses to ride with, but today I opted to go eye commando. Mainly because it seemed quite an overcast day and party due to a side affect of the painkillers being drowsiness, I didn't want my brain to think it's nighttime. I really noticed how much dust flicks around. I found my eyes suffering from the grit that's constantly being flicked up in my face while riding. A fly even hit me square in the retina at one point.

We stopped for lunch in Warrington. The van wasn't anywhere near us, so we decided to hit a supermarket for lunch. Seizing my opportunity to avoid another pasta dish I enjoyed a nice warm turkey and cranberry pasty.
After lunch, Brooksy informed me of a 'code brown' situation, resulting in him urgently needing to find a toilet. While I looked after the bikes, he unsuccessfully wondered the nearby streets of Warrington. He returned, tail between his legs - which I assume was a delaying tactic - to ask for all the receipts I had on me. I never asked him why he wanted them, nor do I ever want to discover what became of them.

We then winded our way though some of the industrial northern towns on offer. Traffic was terrible and made progress slow, despite our good pace. I chuckled upon entering Wigan. There sign proudly boasted having a Premier League club. If I were them, I'd start thinking about investing in another sign right about now!

We got to our basic camp site around 7 and settled for the night. The shower required 50p to run, and the lights were on sensors. Inconveniently the sensors weren't placed inside the shower or toilet cubicles, resulting in a rather spooky shower and a largely inaccurate shaving attempt.

Miles today: 83.8
Miles total: 403.4
Smelliness of my dirty washing bag: 17




Location:Shrewsbury - Preston

No comments:

Post a Comment