Wednesday 20 April 2011

Day Eleven - it's a long way, from Invergarry...

Every bit we were great yesterday, we were slow, sluggish and unenthusiastic today. It was hard to get up and get going. Similarly to the first day, we procrastinated until Steve kicked us out of the van after our eleventh straight day of porridge.

Despite Scotland's indisputable beauty, they sure did lack any ideas when it came to naming places. They all seemed to be named after people. One set of road works we went through apologised for Farmer Ben, who was having his drive re-done. However, other place names I DID find amusing; Hill o many Staines, Muffhill and Boylesack Road a few of my personal favourites.
But one of the Loch's, which I'm guessing means Lake in Scottish, is called Loch Lochy. how unimaginative can you get!

I've been looking forward to today for a while. Both Brooksy and I have connections to Scotland through our Grandparents. My Grandma and Grandad owned a hotel near Dingwall, just north of Inverness for about 10 years. I have many happy memories there, playing Power Rangers in the back garden, making paper aeroplanes and swords in my Grandad's pub. I just so happens that the Conon Bridge Hotel was on our route today, and I couldn't have been more excited about being reunited with a piece of my childhood. Despite not being overly familiar with the exact roads leading to their old hotel, probably because I was an eight year old preoccupied with his Game boy at the time, the surrounding areas struck a familiar chord with me, and I knew we were close.
When we approached the large, white hotel It looked exactly liked how I remembered it! We parked up our bikes, and headed inside for a swift half. As soon as I opened the door I was sent instantly back to my childhood. It may not have been quite as big as I remembered it, but the instantly recognisable aroma hit my nostrils and I was about to call dibs on being the Red Power Ranger thinking I was eight again.
I gave myself a tour, with the new landlady's permission, and it appeared to be exactly how it'd been left 15 years ago. The kitchen was the same, the lounge, front bar and dining room seemingly untouched by time. Even the door at the top of the landing painted the identical image I have etched in my memories.
It was nice to see it again, but my true memories lie with visiting Gran and Grandad. Scoffing my face with egg and chips and helping Grandad out by serving drinks at the bar, or as it probably was getting in his way!

We have been extremely lucky with the weather this trip. Apart from battling against the winds on our 110 mile day, I'd say we've had it made. But our final 10 miles of today's riding made sure that we'd have to battle all possible conditions in order to achieve our LEJOG goal.
I have tended to feel the cold while cycling, so I've layered up most days. I wear a cycling t-shirt first, with my all in one cycling skin suit over the top of that. Next I wear a long sleeved running top, 2 or 3 Wildmoor Spa wind proof cycling jackets and then my rain coat over the top. This is not forgetting my 2 right leg knee supports, one left leg knee support and my football socks pulled up over normal socks. It's safe to say that I (Sarah) have a LOT of washing to do when I get home. But this rain was torrential. It managed to get every single one of those layers i was wearing wet.
The only thing I wanted to do upon arriving at camp was get showered and dry by this point. But, we again had a camp site that flattered to deceive. We were essentially on a train line, any closer and I'm pretty sure we'd have had to have paid a train fare. Every time, which was fairly frequently, a train went by the entire van rocked.
I grabbed my clean clothes, towel and shower stuff and headed to feel remotely human again. Steve, who thinks of every possible scenario, had given me a bag to transport my clean clothes in, so that they stay dry. But, upon arriving at the shower and forcing two 10p's into the meter and attempting to get myself clean I noticed something odd. I was cleaning with a shower head that had so many holes in, it worked like a sprinkle. Also, I'd failed to notice the shower room was missing a large chunk of roof. This meant that my clean clothes still got wet. Arghhhh.

After a hard day of cycling I normally retire to the 'Penthouse Suite' above the drivers compartment to write, or attempt to write on time, my blog before bed. But tonight I ended up underestimating the mere 70cm gap I have to sleep in by nutting the roof on my ascent. This left me clinging on for dear life and Brooksy having to save me, and my dignity, by shoving me into my living quarters. Here's hoping that that wasn't an omen for our final day tomorrow!

Miles today: 90.6
Miles total: 851.2
Local beer consumed: Belhaven Best
Number of involuntary knee clicks: 9


Location:Invergarry - Tain

No comments:

Post a Comment