Friday 15 April 2011

Day Seven - Sharing my shower time

I'm not sure if you'll be aware of this, but everyday we've started biking around 9am and our earliest finish has been 7pm. We break for about 45 minutes for lunch, and have the odd 5 minute break every 10 miles . It's constant effort. As soon as we finish and find the camp site it's 8. Once showered and fed its bed. The next thing I know I'm sat back on the bike again trying to find my comfy bum position (which normally slots into place around the 5 mile mark if you're interested!)

Please don't forget we're trying to raise £1000 for Kidney Research UK. We are only about £250 short of our targets, and would very much appreciate a donation of any size to commend our efforts. - Thank you!
www.justgiving.com/landsendcycle2011

After powering through the first 20 miles, in just over an hour, another spoke on my bike twanged. Unlike last time, where in truth I was grateful for the rest-bite, I felt instantly frustrated. I was about 2.5 miles shy of Lancaster and stuck to know what to do. Brooksy went on ahead to find a shop and I upset a bus driver. I thought it'd be best to bus it in to fix it, as the wheel wasn't turning, rather than have the support van travel miles to collect me. The complete jobs-worth of a tool started to 'call the police'. I called his bluff and it developed into a Mexican stand off. Fortunately the bus was empty, and I knew Steve was en-route to collect me. After a handy 20 minutes I dinged the bell and declared that this was my stop.
I noticed a burger van next to the bus stop, who saw sympathy in my situation and gave me a free sausage, egg and black pudding bap, accompanied with a nice cup of tea. Legend!
I quickly got the bike fixed and caught Brooksy up about 6 miles further down, who had waited in a car park for me.

Today is the day I think I've finally been accepted into the cycling community. I've really enjoyed the trip in parts, especially the fast downhilly parts, but there has also been a lot of times where I've envisioned launching my bike into the North Sea at JOG, vowing never to move my legs in a circular motion ever again. But today I found myself nodding to other bikers that we passed. I'd noticed cyclists doing it before, but thought they were merely tutting at my unorthodox style. I think I'm finally getting it though. I've even enjoyed the up hill parts, and trust me there has been a lot of those today. I have developed an attacking style to them. Getting into the highest gear, and just driving my way up them by counting rotations.

We did see one of the more bizarre sights of the whole trip shortly after lunch. Walking up Shap summit was a man carrying a HUGE wooden cross. Unlike Jesus, this man had smartly attached a wheel to the end whilst making his ascent up Mount Golgotha (for all you R.E. fans!) I gave him a hearty hello, but was snubbed. It was a classic case of beard envy, as it was the only thing missing from his whole ensemble.
This summit was probably the biggest that we've encountered on the trip so far. It took 50 minutes to do the 7 miles up it , but a mere 15 minutes to do the 7 going down the other side.

The roads weren't great again today. The up parts seemed harder and the down bits lacked any real momentum, even grinding to holy without pedalling on the descent. I feel our condition is fantastic though, we seem to be putting in bigger shifts everyday. But there wasn't many parts with smooth concrete. At one point my entire bike was shuddering and shaking so much it made my bell ring, and I sounded like a broken ice-cream van.

We arrived to yet another camp site. I'll be honest, who on earth considers a caravan park as a holiday. The showers are cold, and miles away from where you've parked. In fact, I had to walk back to shower today as my leg brushed up against something brown on the walk back to the van. You pay for your caravan, and then they charge you even more to stay on a site which is miles from anywhere. People walk in on you while your on the loo, plus aren't quick about leaving. Instead they try and engage you in a conversation on how they've walked in on you doing your thing. you have to do your own cooking and washing up. What is the point?
Rant over.

Miles today: 94.5
Miles total: 497.9
Number of times someone walked in on my while I had my shower: 3


Location:Preston - Carlisle

1 comment:

  1. Jonny next year you'll be cycling around the coast of Britain with your bike and tent ... it's only 4,500 miles. You'll meet some right interesting folk then !
    You are doing fab and I'm loving your blog ! I can virtually feel your pain !

    ReplyDelete